Sunday, August 12, 2007

Weekend of Wool and other Stuff

I had the weekend off and so I've been catching up with all the stuff that needed doing - like sleeping, and knitting, and reading.

Oh and I've been surfing the net too and I bought this -




Isn't it gorgeous. 5 skeins of Manos del Uruguay wool in colourway 6460 (oranges and browns and pinks and greens and reds). Won on eBay on Friday evening and delivered on Saturday, which was pretty impressive. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it when I bought it, but it was a real bargain and I couldn't resist it. Then I looked on Ravelry (sorry, if you're still waiting for your invite!) and found the ideal pattern - it will be a Hot Lava Cardigan. I'll probably do a version with just one button, but we'll see. Not sure if I have the right size of DPNs to do the cuffs and sleeves with which might be a problem. Large sized DPNs are not easy to find round here. I don't think I have the right size in circulars either come to think of it. I could probably buy them online .... but I want them NOW!

I have finished sewing the Ribwarmer -



I love this too and think I might knit another one. It was great to knit. EZ is a genius.


I went to a car boot sale today and bought a box of wool. I'm not sure exactly what it is, except that it is wool and it comes in several lovely shades of blue and green and beige. This was ludicrously cheap. I think I might do a log cabin throw with it, like the ones in Mason-Dixon Knitting.



Also I have been knitting the rainbow hand-spun socks -




Sock One - not sure if maybe it isn't a little on the wide side. I shall have to see what I think after I've turned the heel. I'm knitting them toe-up which I don't really like but it's the only way to be sure to get the colours right and use up all the wool.

On Friday at my spinning group we had a little party (with cake!) to say farewell to Catherine who is going home to New Zealand after a couple of years over here. I only got to know her towards the end of her stay in England, but she's lovely and we're all going to miss her. Sadly, I'm an idiot and have no photos of this event to show you. Have a safe trip home, Catherine!

I finished Cut Her Dead by Iain McDowall and thought it was excellent. A well constructed plot and an unusual crime. I shall read more of this series. Otherwise I'm still reading the Vera Brittain which is fascinating but will shortly get very sad. I rather expect tissues may be required to finish this book.

No comments: