Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Knitted by Nanas

Have you seen the new TV ad for Shreddies? It seems they are knitted by Nanas. I love it.

Not much knitting news as I've been busy working in the shop, but I did do a little crochet. Yes, you did read that right! I have been crocheting. This is a skill that always eluded me when younger - my grandma tried to teach me but failed. I just couldn't get my head round it. Last year though I knitted a cardigan from one of the Rowan magazines that had a crocheted edging so I faced that demon and just got on and did it. I guess some of Grandma's teaching must have sunk in somewhere as it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.


Anyway there was a shawl in another of the Rowan (what is it with them and crochet) books, (one of the cashsoft / cashcotton pattern books) that I just love but I can't afford it in the suggested yarn. But I have some wool/cotton stuff in the stash in a beautiful petrol blue that I thought would be good. However now that I have done a couple of segments (it's one of those modular thingys) I'm not sure that the pattern suits the colour and the fabric seems a bit dense. I'm not sure it will drape well.



Plus, while I am actually enjoying the little circles, the pattern calls for 36 of the suckers and I'm not sure I'm that fond of crochet. I'm thinking that I might abandon this pattern and knit the yarn into a Luna Moth Shawl instead.



I might go and cast on and see what I think. I shall want something to knit while I'm listening to the Elizabeth Peters audiobook I've chosen for reading group this month. Theme for the month is Edwardian crime as it's the library's centenary year. I thought I wouldn't like the Elizabeth Peters as I'm not big on historical stuff, and I especially hate historical involving the upper classes. However I am absolutely enthralled. It's a little window into a long lost world. The book is Guardian of the Horizon. (This link is to the paperback version and as always it's to Waterstones.com, but you should support your local bookstore if/while you still have one.) I love Amelia Peabody, and the narrator (who's name escapes me temporarily) is a hoot.



I'm being a bit of book hog at the moment actually as I'm also reading John Connolly - The Unquiet (upstairs book), and Pat McIntosh - The Harper's Quine (small paperback for carrying about). I do try and stick to one book at a time usually, honest. That's two historical books on the go at once. I'd better go and lie down.



Oooh, and I almost forgot. Look what I got in the post this morning -


Two of Elizabeth Zimmermann's books. These are quite difficult to get hold of in the UK, so I had ordered them from Amazon.com and I wasn't expecting them for at least another week. I've already dipped into them and they are just as wonderful as everyone keeps saying. Don't you just love the wonder of the internet.


I'm off to listen to more Elizabeth Peters now. Tomorrow Maggi and I are off on a stash enhancement expedition. Hmmmmm. Wooooool.


There might be the odd cup of coffee involved too, and maybe some knitting in public, as I missed International Knit in Public Day. It was Saturday and I was at work. For some reason they don't let me knit behind the counter.

No comments: