Friday, October 20, 2006

Don't you just hate it when....

you work out who the killer / psychopath is half way through the book.

I was very disappointed in Thorn by Vena Cork. I don't think I was even halfway through and I began to think "No, surely not, she can't mean it to be him, that's way too obvious". So I read a bit further and the feeling grew and in the end I just lost interest and did something I hardly ever do - I skipped to the end just to check that I was right (and I was!).

Now I've been reading crime fiction for a long time, so I can forgive an author for not being able to fool me all the time, and I don't mind that as long as the plot is interesting and the characters intriguing, but this was just too easy. I though perhaps there was going to be a huge twist at the end and it was maybe going to be someone else - but no. The author had telegraphed exactly who the nutter was from less than half-way through, leaving nothing to surprise me at the end. A major disappointment.

So, now I'm on The Italian Secretary by Caleb Carr. This is for Reading Group (theme - Sherlock Holmes) and I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm not very far in yet so we shall see how it pans out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I quite agree with you on Thorn (did you seem my comment to your earlier post while you were still reading it? ;-) )
I thought it was such a pity as the book started out well. But it ran out of steam and plot, I think.

Quite a few crime fiction books are like that.

I highly recommend Involuntary Witness* -- so does Karen M of Eurocrime and others. It is short and highly readable. Just the kind of thing to spell yourself when you are weary of spinning that wheel! (Boy is that impressive, by the way).

*It is reviewed on Petrona, somewhere....