Friday, September 28, 2007

Brown Books

We are almost at the end of September which I am finding it hard to believe. How can it be autumn when we haven't had summer yet? But the weather has taken a distinct chilly turn here and thoughts are beginning to drift towards warm knitted jumpers and shawls.

But meantime we have unfinished Project Spectrum business to attend to...


The brown books (not very many I'm afraid are -


Pulp Culture by Woody Haut (a fascinating book about the roots of hard-boiled fiction)

How to Write for Children by Louise Jordan (in case I decide to write the next Harry Potter)

Body Trauma - a Writer's Guide to Wounds and Injuries (in case I decide NOT to write the next Harry Potter)

Knitting Workshop by Elizabeth Zimmermann (what can I say - She was a God)

A Ticket to the Boneyard by Lawrence Block (one of the wonderful Matt Scudder books)


White Doves at Morning by James Lee Burke (I won't bore you by banging on and on about JLB again. This one's historical - set in the American Civil War, not a Dave Robicheaux novel)


Sometime in the next 2 days I will bring you the orange books to round off Project Spectrum for this year. I've not done as much knitting as I wanted to in the prescribed colours but I've enjoyed trawling my bookshelves and I hope you have too.



November sees the start of National Novel Writing Month (otherwise known as NaNoWriMo). The idea is to write a novel (approx 60,000 words) in a month. This may be pushing it a bit for me. I don't think I've written much more than 600 words in the last 6 months but the idea is to get you writing and not worry about the quality so I'm going to take the opportunity to try and bang out a first draft. Two of the women I work with are also taking part so we can encourage each other. I'll let you know how I get on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think brown is a bit of a depressing colour for a book, myself. In my many books oozing out of bookshelves everywhere, I think brown is the least common colour.