Saturday, December 02, 2006

Grim, Dark Saturday Morning

It's still dark here, so there are no photographs today. I'm working all day today but I thought I'd better blog just to show that I'm still alive.

Knitting news -

I'm still knitting the Opal socks. Still on the first sock, but I've done the heel turn and the gusset decreases now so it's a straight run to the toe. Progress is slow on these as I'm only knitting them in my breaks at work.

I have finished the sideways gilet that I started with the wool that used to be the wrap-over cardigan. I finally figured that it was trying to tell me something - it just didn't want to be a cardigan. I took me about 8 failures to get the front the way I wanted it before I realised this. Photos will appear later this week when I finally get a day off (not until Tuesday!).

Reading news -

I finished Sharpe's Fury by Bernard Cornwell, which was exactly what it said on the tin. You can rely on Cornwell for a rattling good plot. He's very good at putting in the historical detail without it reading like he's trying to teach you something. That's a great skill. I am indebted to Mr Cornwell for almost all the English history I know. The Sharpe books are not my favoutite series by Cornwell, I really like the Starbuck Chronicles, but as he's said he's not going to write any more of those until he retires, the Sharpes will have to do in the meantime.

So back to the present day and Echo Park by Michael Connelly. I'm a big fan of Harry Bosch so I've been looking forward to this one. It was a little slow to start with I thought, but that may have been because I came to it straight from the Sharpe which just belts along. Anyway it's picking up now and I'll report on how it proceeds when I get a bit further in.

Writing news -

As usual there is no writing news.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky you, having Echo Park already. I'm waiting for the PB. And I don't mind, actually, as I have so many others to read.

Bit grim and dark down here too...hope things brighten up for you soon. Looking forward to a photo of the finished socks.

Pat said...

I was lucky with Echo Park, Pete found me it in a charity shop, otherwise I wouldn't have it in hardback.