Sunday, November 05, 2006

First attempt at spinning

Well, I had my first attempt at spinning this afternoon. I was hoping everyone would be out - Pete was at the Villa game, but the Evilpixie was lurking about as teenagers do and was under the impression that watching her mother's first attempts at spinning was in some way helpful. Trust me it wasn't.

Let's just say that I haven't quite got the hang of it yet. I could do the foot pedalling bit - I'd been practising that bit all week, but I had a bit of trouble with the drafting - couldn't get the hands to move right and was having a few technical issues with the wheel. Just when I thought I was beginning to get the hang of the drafting (though i was still having problems getting hands and feet to move independently), the leather con-rod joint thingy broke. So that put paid to any further attempts today. I can get a replacement thingy from Twist Fibre Craft Studio, though. They are in Newburgh in Fife and sell all sorts of lovely fibre as well as wheels and stuff.

I find the fact that they are in Newburgh an amazing coincidence as I used to live there, although it was many years ago - I don't think they were there when I lived there (I'm not going to tell you how many years ago that was - I was still at school), or possibly even the last time I was there which would be nearly five years ago. My father lived in Newburgh, he was the village pharmacist until he retired, but he died five years ago this Christmas. Of course I wasn't even a knitter then so the shop may have been in existence and I wouldn't have been the slightest bit interested - now you'd have trouble getting me out at closing time!

No comments: