Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Cracked it!

I finally (I think) have the right yarn for the Icarus Shawl. I won a couple of skeins of Fyberspates laceweight mohair on eBay last week and and have just started to knit with it.

Hopefully you can see the beautiful delicate shades of green and lilac in the skein. The green is proving a bit more dominant than I had hoped but it's still lovely. Here is my fledgling Icarus - 25 rows done - quite a lot still to go.


Look - Buttons!!!!


Yes, Williamsro is finished. I will get Pete to take a photo of me wearing it for my next post, but in the meantime here's a still life -

I love it and feel that it will get a lot of use. A highly practical garment. I knitted it pretty much as per the pattern with a few minor alterations. The sleeves would have been very wide so I narrowed them down quite a lot. I don't like flappy sleeves - too drafty! And I added two small pockets which are cunningly disguised behind the border at the bottom. Other than that I followed the pattern, though it was full of hideous errors and took a little interpretation. The main body is knitted in New Lanark Aran (colourway - denim) used double and the border is my own handspun merino chunky.

There's been a lot of work this week and not a lot of spare time so although I have finished reading the two "Woods" books I don't have my thoughts down on paper yet so that will have to wait for the next post.

What I did get down on paper though was the start of the book I have been planning for the last year or so. Yes, I finally bit the bullet and started to write. I figured that if I didn't at least make a start then I would just go on researching forever (which I could quite easily do for this project). I won't update you on how it's progressing in every post but I shall let know know periodically. In the meantime, can anyone suggest a few books that an intelligent, middle-class, young Englishwoman might have been reading around 1910-1914?

No comments: