Saturday, October 20, 2007

Writing a Novel in Thirty Days

So, how am I going to write a novel in thirty days? Well, it takes a little planning, as I need to have a rough (very rough) idea of what I am going to write, but basically I'm just going to wing it. Bear in mind that the idea here is not to produce a polished piece of work, but to try and write a complete novel (or at least a first draft) in thirty days. The point here is quantity not quality. I am giving myself permission to write crap if that's what it takes and to have some fun while getting some words on the page.

I thought about using this NaNoWriMo to finish the half-written teenage novel that is languishing on my computer, or to bash out a first draft of the novel set during WW1 that I am researching at the moment, but neither of these options felt right. I'm not in the right frame of mind for the teenage novel at the moment and the new novel needs more research. I'm terrible for starting something before I'm quite ready and losing momentum when I get to a bit I'm not sure about. Also both these works are intended for publication (eventually, should I be so lucky) so I don't want to splash them all over the web at this stage. This means I'm going with a third option....

What I'm going to do is start with an idea I had several years ago for an opening passage. I have no idea of plot or character - just an opening scenario. I'm intending to take this beginning and to run with it wherever it takes me. It may not be pretty - chances are some (or more) of it will be utter garbage - but I hope it will be fun. I'm going to see if I can find a way to post what I write on the web so you can follow my progress if you want to (what kind of masochists are you?). Comments will be welcome (what kind of masochist am I?) There's a target of 2000 words per day in order to produce a 60K word novel within the month. I'm not sure I can sustain that but I'll give it a go.

It all starts on 1st November....here's a clue...it's science fiction, but I'm sure there will a crime element in there too....can't have a book without bodies!!!!!

1 comment:

Leigh Russell said...

Sounds great! I absolutely agree that writing should be FUN - and have a few bodies of course!!! My publisher describes my writing as "seriously creepy". I write crime thrillers, so I take that as a compliment, under the circumstances. As a bookseller, I wonder if you would be kind enough to visit my blog, and let me know what you think of the cover design there? I'd appreciate your comments.